Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blog Post #3

A Vision Of Students Today
This video probably captures the broad view of the average college student today. It is a little different from my experience but the same in some ways. I've never had a class size of over probably 40-50 students, always in a classroom not in a lecture hall. Most of my instructors have known my name in the past, although this is the first semester that I have taken hybrid courses. I spend most of my day online doing work for school this semester, so probably none of my instructors know who I am. What I am learning might prepare me for my profession but is it preparing me for the world around me? NO. But it basically captures the college experience for most people. Fortunately for me I will never have to pay back any college loans because I did time in the military, so the VA is paying for my education, thank you VA! The only thing that I would add to make this my own is that a lot of students have children and it is extremely difficult to find a balance between trying to be a parent and a student at the same time.VIDEO: A Vision Of Students Today
It's Not About the Technology
The future is technology. I think that we have established that. Ms. Hines brings up an extremely valid point. Although the future is advancing in so many ways, there is still a solid foundation for education, it is the teacher's willingness and dedication to their students.  Teachers are learning as well as students, as they should be. There should never be a time when a teacher stops learning. As many resources that are available today to educate with, a lot of teachers are reluctant to teach with them because they are reluctant to learn them. Teachers have to be open to new changes and new ways of teaching. Why wouldn't an educator want to expand their horizons and prepare their students for the life that is ahead of them?! 
Is it Ok to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
No it is not! I like Mr. Fisch. He is very honest in his words and I appreciate that. I enjoyed this post. He makes such a great comparison as to not being technologically literate today as a teacher is the same as not being able to read or write 30 years ago as a teacher. How true. He also makes a point as to computers being around for 30 years now. How long will it take? I don't think someone should be embarrassed by saying they are technologically illiterate. What I think should be the embarrassing part, is the unwillingness to learn it. I thought I was computer-savvy until I took this course. But I am learning and I think that there is something to be said in that. I want to prepare my future students and I think that any educator who doesn't feel that way and isn't open to change, yes..they should rethink their career. It should be a requirement.
ghandi quote

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Margeaux! and as you said in your remarks, I to appreciate honesty. Lets face it, everyone knows we should use the best tools available and that change is constant. Of course we need to keep up!

    Your blog is looking great! Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete