Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blog Post #4

Do Not Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?
Dr. Scott McLeod is the Associate Professor of Educational Administration at Iowa State University and the Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE). I definitely am with Dr. McLeod on this. I will teach my students and my own children how to properly use all of these technological tools. If we educate them about it, they are less likely to abuse it. The more you tell someone not to do something, the more curious they will be about it and the more inclined they are to do it. Why not teach them to respect the proper way on how to network. I think that it will broaden their sense of the world. I know it has done so to me. Kids are going to learn about all of this eventually on their own. We should educate them in the right direction!Do Not Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?
The iSchool Initiative
I am a little up in the air about this one. While I think that it is a good idea in some ways, I do not see a lot of school systems jumping on the bandwagon of getting rid of traditional ways of teaching. It would take a lot of additional training for the teachers. Some teachers are already reluctant on learning how to incorporate the web into their classrooms. I think that it would definitely save money in the long run. As for getting rid of books and traditional testing methods, I think we are a long way from that. Although with a new generation of educators, anything is possible. I certainly would not be opposed to this style of teaching. I would like to do a little more research on the subject matter. The iSchool Initiative
Lost Generation
Short and to the point! I liked this clip. Basically what it is saying is that the way the world is moving and statistically all these things are supposed to happen. Work will be more important than family, divorce rates are higher, environmental destruction will be the norm...etc..If we reverse the cycle one by one, this doesn't have to be our future. We are responsible for our own lives but by working together to make a change, the change doesn't have to be a negative one. I liked the way the entire speech was in a negative perspective but when read backwards, it turned into a positive perspective. Very interesting the way that was done. Lost Generation 
Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir
UNBELIEVABLE! I mean it was a beautifully arranged piece. It sounded as if they had all been practicing together for years. And they have never met, not one of them. This was all done over the web. These videos that we are required to watch are so interesting. I mean how in the world did Mr. Whitacre put this all together? I would really love to read up on his thinking process for this. People from all over the world, different ages, races, religions, countries.. connecting their voices together into a virtual choir. It makes me think what in the world will they think up next. I think that this is brilliant!   Virtual Choir
virtual choir

2 comments:

  1. Hey Margeaux, I'm Josh King. I liked reading your blog. Yea, I was a little confused on how the Virtual Choir worked. I found the Eric Whitacre Blog. Here he tells how he started it and and all the gritty details. He says this is just the beginning!

    Is it just me or is blogging and commenting starting to feel less like an assignment and more like a hobby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margeaux,

    Your statement ... Short and to the point! I liked this clip ... shows that learning does not have to be something complex and overwhelming. We have a number of ways to teach and we need to explore them and get a point across any way we can.

    ReplyDelete