Thursday, October 28, 2010

Additional Assignment #3

CHANGING PARADIGMS

RSA ANIMATE: SIR KEN ROBINSON-CHANGING PARIDIGMS
I really liked the way this video was made. Very creative and easy to follow and everything he said was written down and developed into a picture, which made it easier to process.I have never seen an RSA animate presentation before. It was genius.
So, basically what the presentation was about was how the school system needs to change and how the current education system is actually doing more harm to our students, than good. I was trying to find something that I disagreed with in this video, but found nothing. He makes so many valid points and I completely agree with every single one of them. What stood out to me the most, if I have to pick just one, was how ADHD is a fictitious epidemic. He says that we are living in the most stimulating period in history and our children are being buried in a world of unnecessary, harmful medicine which dulls them from the world in which they live, which is supposed to be making them focus more in school, but in all reality it is shutting them off from the world around them; that instead of putting them to sleep, we should be waking up what is buried deep inside of them. Also, the longitudinal study he mentioned done on the kindergarten students. 1500 students were tested on the basis of divergent thinking, 98% of the kindergartners placed into the genius level and over time, those numbers decreased, showing that what they are being taught and told in school is diminishing one's creative capacity.
What can we do to ensure that this doesn't happen with our students? Well, I believe a new generation of educators is on the rise. The problem is out there and I think a lot is being done to solve it. Personally, I plan to incorporate as much as the arts in my teaching styles as I possibly can. And I plan on opening my students to a world of collaboration, as Sir Robinson states. I think working with others is a great way to learn and can open you up to so many different ideas and aspects of a topic. And even more so, expanding the learning network beyond the classroom and classmates, over the web, into different cultures will broaden a child's awareness of the world and of their own learning capacities.
If I were to do a presentation this way, I would most definitely want to be either the idea generator or narrator, because Lord knows that I could not draw a picture to save my life.
This was probably, by far, the best video I watched so far in this class. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I have taken quite a liking to Sir Ken Robinson's mind and what he is bringing to the table, in the education world.
RSAnimate-Changing Education Paridigms

1 comment:

  1. Happy early Monday morning to you, Margeaux! I love your name, as I am sure you have heard a billion times, but hey, It's just how I feel. I trust you enjoyed your Halloween. I did. Although, I walked about four miles total between the fair and trick-or-treating. I don't usually do that so I am walking like an old lady now. Anyway, I couldn't have commented better on the additional assignment. I have known from the beginning that school (especially for low-income students) can be oppressive instead of liberating. I have also had several thoughts about how the popularity of drugging our youth can only make this worse, possibly causing irreversible damage. I want to be the kind of teacher that liberates and empowers. Anyway, your blog looks great. Visit me if you want.

    ReplyDelete