Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blog Post # 9

 WHAT I LEARNED THIS YEAR by Mr. McClung
stay positive

This post was inspiring to me. In this post Mr. McClung shares experiences from his first year of teaching with us. Let me begin by saying this. So many people have said to me "Your first year of teaching is going to be so hard", "You are going to be so lost and feel out of control with your students during your first year of teaching"...and so on.. I actually get a little nervous about it. But if so many others before me have survived and lived to tell, I think I can too. In this post, Mr. McClung gave some really sound advice that I think I will carry with me during my beginning stages as an educator. The examples that really spoke to me were, " listen to your students because you might be the only one that does." It is important to take interest in your student's lives. How will you teach them to strive if you don't know who they are. Also he says to never stop learning. And with this, I couldn't agree more. There is always room to grow and things to be learned. Be open to them and never stop. Teach your students everything you can and let them teach you as well. I am sure as an educator you get discouraged when lessons plans don't go the way you want them to, or a child is not learning at the same rate as the others. But like Mr. McClung said in his post, it is important to stay positive and do it with a smile on your face. I will end with a stimulating quote from the text.."Our job as teachers is to simply pick them up, dust them off, and encourage them to try again."
"What I learned this year" by Mr. McClung

phases of teaching

3 comments:

  1. Yes, stay positive. Even if you are nervous. I am nervous at the start of every semester. Even after 46 years!

    Interesting graph. Do you know the specific source as opposed to Google Images? I would like to follow up on it.

    Did you get an assignment this week to comment on Mr. McClung's blog? If not, check it out anyway! Mr. McClung's World

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes sir, i did already comment on Mr. McClung's blog. He is a fascinating teacher. I also updated the source on this graph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree hearing all those stories of teacher's first year makes me nervous too.I feel as long as we try and gave it our all we should be fine. And I also agree that as teacher all we need to do is pick them up and dust them off. Children really count on the classroom as their family and as long as they see we care they will strive to do their best just to impress their teachers.

    ReplyDelete