Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blog Post #7

At first glance..an hour and 16 minutes..come on..but WOW. Mr. Randy Pausch is an amazing role model. Someone to look up to. Someone to say, wow..if this man can have liver cancer and be told he has 3 months to live, yet he is so positive and passionate about life, never taking for granted any aspect of his life, good or bad, in the best shape of his life..i can be that way too. Or better yet..I want to be that way.
Randy Pausch is a professor at Carnegie Mellon. Two quotes Mr. Pausch used in his lecture that I will always carry with me are 1. "When you are screwing up and no one tells you, it means they have given up on you. Your critics are the ones who still care." And 2. "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."
Randy Pausch begins his lecture revealing he has liver cancer and has three months to live. He actually presents to the audience the scans of the cancer. He talks about his childhood dreams and explains how he achieved each one. He spoke on how his own personal achievements, small as they may have been, pushed him into the education field because he wanted to inspire others to go after their own dreams. He presents three main points in his speech, his childhood dreams, enabling the childhood dreams of others and lessons learned. He used several visual aides in his presentation.
One part of his speech that I really enjoyed was when he talked about the Brick Wall. How everyone is faced with brick walls during the course of their life, but it is how we overcome those walls that builds the person that we are. Another part of the speech I liked was the Head Fake. It is a style of teaching where you teach someone how to do one thing, but all the while they are learning something completely different.
There was so many great points that Mr. Pausch made. He truly is an inspiring man. It made me reflect on my own life and the kind of educator that I want to be.
Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams
RANDY PAUSCH

1 comment:

  1. Margeaux,

    I not only love your name, but I also loved your post. I, like you, at first glance assumed it was going to be boring because of the length. But, wow, what a speech. He really is a remarkable man. I hope you have a great semester!

    Krysten Malone

    ReplyDelete